Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A New Adventure


I am moving. Again. But, like when I moved to Maine, I am looking forward to the adventure. I love meeting new people and being in new places. This time I will be in Rhode Island.

Some of you may remember my moving problems I had when I moved from Idaho to Maine. Quick recap - the moving company who was to deliver all of our belongings "went out of business" and ending up dumping everything we own in a storage facility near our home in Idaho, yet they still took our $5000. And that's where our stuff sits today. We can't afford to have it shipped out, starving author and all. :) 

Anyway, we were fortunate that our house in Maine was furnished so it wasn't a huge issue until now. We have nothing. It's like we are newly married except worse becuase at least when we got married we were given a lot of things like cleaning supplies, appliances, towels, etc. I thought about getting married again. Maybe those who came to our wedding the first time won't remember that we're already married?

Actually it was kind of fun starting over. My husband and I went shopping this last weekend looking for one deal after another. Cheap became our motto. No point buying nice things when we have a warehouse of nice things...back in Idaho. We managed to find bigger items, dressers, beds and couches at flea markets and garage sales. This week I will focus on the little things.

So here's my question. Where can I get the most bang for my buck for all the little crap? I don't have time to do the garage sale thing again. I was thinking Ikea?

9 comments:

ilima said...

I was going to say Ikea.

A.J. Locke said...

Walmart also has some pretty affordable and decent things, you could also use Amazon to look for good prices on whatever items you're looking for.

Jessica said...

You gotta check out The christmas tree shops (don't be fooled by the name, its not a Christmas store) and Mardens!

The McClellan Family said...

Definitely Ikea, and CRAIGSLIST!! Good luck! Miss seeing you guys!

Jeff King said...

I hope it turns out ok... I hate moving, I hate change.
I doubt they have a DI "Deseret industries" in RD, but that's the best bang for your buck that I know of.

Carrie-Anne said...

Pier 1 and Target have pretty good stuff.

Rachel McClellan said...

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips. I will check them all out.

Liane said...

I hope you enjoy the new move!!! More adventures and ideas for your future books!

David said...

hey there... for reasonable priced home goods... Try "Home Goods" (I go all the time), there's one 10 minutes from you (head north towards Licoln)...
Christmas Tree Shops, excellent for all sorts of goodies- there's one 20 minutes south (Rt 2) and another 30 minutes north(RT 1).

I ALWAYS hit the Pepperidge Farms and other bakery "thift" stores, AMAZING deals on foods.

For cheaper food (if your not ALL about labels, the food is equally good) there are stores called Aldi's, Save-A-Lot and Price-Rite... I do excellent there on many foods (name brand and not) when feeding the 6 of us...

IF you venture out for dinner: try Wrights Farm (family style chicken, all you can eat)... ($12/head- less for children)

Or Marchettis- AMAZING food, reasonably priced and not your franchise menu... one plate is usually enough for two meals, my girls share a plate and most of us bring stuff home...
http://www.marchettis.com/

lastly, if you need a day out, head to Oakland Beach in Warwick... picnic tables, beach side and you HAVE to stop at Iggy's for doughboys and Chowda...
http://www.iggysdoughboys.com/store/
(couppns on their web-site)

any questions, be happy to help- welcome to the neighborhood.

http://www.wrightsfarm.com/