Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Oceans and Owls

The first thing I hear every morning is the sound of ocean waves crashing to shore. I love this sound and if I could, I'd lay in bed all day listening to it.

This morning I heard another sound. It was just as beautiful because it brought back fond memories of my childhood. It was the soothing voice of an owl whoo-whoo-whooing.

When I was little my three sisters and brother loved to sleep outside on the trampoline during the summer. We would always fight over who got to sleep on the outside, because we knew that whoever slept on the inside was always squished by morning. I don't know why my little sister ever got involved in this argument. She always lost. Maybe that's why she can sleep anywhere now. I really miss those days.

I listened to the owl for several more minutes until it flew away, but the memories warmed my heart.

What sounds do you love?


6 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

I love those sounds too, and the sound of falling rain, But right now I'm listening to the wind pound on my house, not as pleasant a noise.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a bird person but there is a certain bird sound that I will hear...maybe a meadowlark? And it reminds me of our childhood and sleeping out on the tramp. Remember the animals would be sitting on us by morning too. And the dew on the sleeping bags...and the bats...and the hollar from Dad to wake us up....the smell of wet dog...

steph

Daniel and Bonnie Farnsworth said...

Right now I can not think of any of my favorite sounds because I am just so jealous that you live that close to the ocean. :) By the way, I finally bought your book. I know I am a little slow, but I am so excited to read it.

Liane said...

I think your little sister liked to stay warm and cuddle! Or maybe she just liked to give her older siblings whatever they wanted because she loved them. :)

I'll trade the owls by me, for the sound of the ocean any day!

Liane said...

And I never wanted in on the arguement because I ALWAYS wanted the middle!!!

roro said...

love owl hoots