Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Children movie pushing an agenda

 
Over the weekend I took my kids to see The Lorax. It was my daughter’s sixth birthday and she loves Dr. Seuss. I knew what the book was about, and I always thought it had a good message so I was looking forward to watching it with them. But I was sorely disappointed and left with a bad taste in my mouth. And it wasn’t from the burnt popcorn.

The original book promoted environmental responsibility, which I’m all for, and it was done in an artistic and reasonable manner. I can’t say the same for this movie.

 It turned out to be one of those shows pushing an agenda, a very obvious one. I don’t mind subtle themes that take a backseat to a child’s story, but this one was so in your face it was ridiculous. It was anti-industry, anti-capitalist, and pro-environmentalism. I don’t want to watch a movie I just paid for feeling like someone wants me to feel guilty for building a fort out of trees branches when I was a child.

The climax of the movie is when Once-ler sings a song dedicated to greed called “How Bad Can I be?” It depicted him as a super rich man who stomped on everyone and everything all for his love of money. Only when he saw every last tree destroyed did he realize the error of his ways. (Why didn’t anyone think to plant more?)

I know a lot of wealthy people, who employee a lot of people, and I can honestly say they are extremely generous with their money. That’s not saying there aren’t stingy rich people, but I think overall people are good. They want to help their fellow man. They want to protect the environment. They want to keep things in balance.

Balance is key.

Did anyone else get a chance to see it? Am I alone here?

3 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

And that is the exact reason why I didn't see it, becasue I knew Hollywood would twist it that way. GRRR.

Li said...

I haven't seen it, didn't want to. When will people learn that propaganda and painting entire groups of people as "bad" is not the way to bring about change? I fear that one of the things in this country on the endangered list is moderation - in all things. Glad you did this review!

Dan O. said...

While the movie is funnier than the book, the drawback of this modernized version is that it loses the timeless quality of the story on the page. Still, I had a good time and it will definitely resonate well with plenty of adults and just about every kid imaginable. Great review. It's a lot better than Despicable Me though, or at least that's what I thought.