Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Music and Writing

 
I love music. I’m convinced that within every piece of music there are characters just waiting to be heard. As writers it’s our job to listen and tell their story.

Several bands/artists help me write. I thought I’d share with you who they are and in return I’d like to hear yours. I’m always looking for new music, and I tend to like the darker, moodier stuff.

Right now, as I’m writing the third in the Fractured Light series, the bands I listen to the most to help me find a character’s voice are Hurt, Red, Chevelle, and Christina Perri.

Whenever I write action scenes I listen to the composer James Dooley. I believe he will cure any writer’s block. He just inspires. To prove my point, one commenter on Youtube said, "I played this song while I was in the restroom and it felt like I was crapping to decide the fate of the universe..." Dooley’s music is that good.

Other bands I listen to are Linkin Park, Perfect Circle, Tool, Metallica, Avenge Sevenfold, Sick Puppies, Secondhand Serenade, Avril Lavigne, Skillet, and that’s all I can think of right now. 

Who do you listen to?

5 comments:

Jani said...

We've talked about musice before and I love Red. Chevelle is my all-time favorite band. EVER! Have you listened to Cold's album Year of the Spider? I could repeat those songs all day long.

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Punk music is my favorite, but if it's really hard and really fast, chances are I'll like it. My favorite bands are Lunachicks, Foo Fighters, L7, Ramones, Green Day, Minor Threat, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

K. Turley (Clutzattack) said...

I think I'm a one song repeat kind of listener. Whatever is newest on my itunes list, until I find a new song to replace it.

On Pandora, I can listen to the Jimmy Eat World station all day without getting sick of it.

J. A. Bennett said...

I will check out Dooley for sure just becasue of that quote! I actually posted a song on my blog yesterday. You should hop over and check it out. I think you'll like it :)

Carrie-Anne said...

I've always been into Sixties and Seventies music, and some Eighties stuff. Because I was listening to so much of The Hollies while I was writing my contemporary historical Bildungsroman, I've always pictured the MC's eventual husband as looking a bit like a young Graham Nash, circa 1963-64.

The band I was mostly listening to while writing my Russian novel sequel last year turned out to inspire what's going to be the dramatic finale of my current WIP (the third book in the family saga the Bildungsroman leads). So many little things had to come together in just the right way for me to even get that great idea. I wrote about it here:

http://carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/deja-vu-blogfest/