Thursday, January 19, 2012

Conquer the world with one thing...


Confidence.

It's taken me a long time to get the confidence I have now. It all began when I was a teenager and a fear of being an unknown smudge on a wall. This fear made me into a very awkward teenager, and believe me when I say awkward. I wanted desperately to be different. I was always wearing funny-looking hats, crazy peace necklaces, and one time I even designed my father's shirt into pants.

Even though I may be remembered as "weird" by those who knew me, my desire to be different had bought me a ticket on the confidence train. Since then, the train has sluggishly tooted its way down life's tracks stopping along the way in hopes I'll take advantage of certain personal-growth moments. Sometimes I jumped and other times I cowered in the corner.

Some events that have helped me grow confidence over the years are starting a business at the age of 23, public speaking, sky-diving, and writing my first novel four years ago. This was the biggest confidence boost. Matching it was developing a love for running. Very little can compare with the feeling of crossing a finish line after running for miles and miles.

Sometimes my confidence-train derails when doubt-demons try to hijack it, but I always do my best to get it back on track, because I haven't quite conquered the world yet.

What have you done in your life that has helped you build confidence?



8 comments:

Alexa said...

I think the biggest step I've ever taken that has helped me learn to be confident is moving to the US on my own a year and a half ago. It's been a crazy journey of learning how to be independent and to flourish, but I'm getting there :)

Kelley said...

Wow! Your own business at 23! Good for you.

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Last summer, I flew in an airplane by myself with layovers and huge airports and everything. That may not be a big deal to some, but it was my first time. When I arrived at my location in one piece and on time, I considered myself a flying pro. :)

Rachel McClellan said...

Alexa - moving to another country alone sounds so scary! Of course you probably met a lot of mysterious strangers, which sounds terribly romantic. :)

Lindsey - So jealous! Learning to fly is on my bucket list. And accomplishing what you did is HUGE! My brother in law flys and I know all the work he put into it.

R. J. Ropsen said...

I am glad you have found your confidence. What helped build my confidence was going to University far away from my family and friends. I had to do everything for myself. It really helped me become more confident in who I was and helped me became my own person.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

We really do need to celebrate the small victories over previous fears - even if is isn't a big thing. Pageants really helped with my confidence (don't laugh) :) New follower!

Alexis Bass Writes said...

Moving away from home is always a great confidence booster - that's how I did it. :)

Anonymous said...

Baby steps for me! :)