Sunday, November 20, 2011

What I'm thankful for

Thanksgiving is almost here, and I have plenty to be thankful for. But before I ramble off my thanksgivings, I want you to know that I don't intend this to be a "My-life-is-perfect-and-I-want-everyone-to-know-how-wonderful-and-problem-free-my-life-is", because it's not.

And I hate those kinds of posts - the kind that reek of ooey-gooey perfectness, making the rest of us feel bad because our lives aren't so seemingly perfect: last week our car broke down, our kids yelled at us, we forgot about our dentist appointment, our spouse broke their leg and is out of work for the next six months, our Christmas bonus disappeared, our mother-in-law moved in, and, on top of it all, there's no milk in the house and all there is to eat is cold cereal. Now that's real life.

So know that just because I'm about to say all these amazing things about my life, it's not perfect. Savvy?

First and foremost I'm thankful for my family. My husband is currently enrolled in an intense nurse anesthesia program and is working very hard to get good grades. He's sacrificing a lot for his family. For me. My children are awesome and each one is special. Hard? Challenging? Heart-ache causing? Most definitely. But so worth it.

I'm thankful for my upbringing and my amazingly patient and long-suffering parents who taught me the value of hard work and the benefits of being a good person. Their lessons have brought me happiness and helped me to make right choices.

I'm thankful for my brother and sisters who have always been supportive. They're here when I need them. Especially grateful for my little sister who uplifts me daily.

I'm thankful for amazing friends who I recently had to leave behind when I moved to Maine. True friends are hard to come by, and I appreciate them even more now that I don't have any. :)

I'm thankful for my religion. It's taught me to love and serve everyone without prejudices.  My religion gives meaning and purpose to my life.

I'm thankful for my imagination, which has allowed me to realize that all things are possible.

What are you thankful for?

6 comments:

Lorelei said...

Rachel, that was a great post. I nearly chuckled, and then I got misty about it, and thinking about what I'm grateful for.

I guess I'm grateful for a job--the both of us have--a roof over our heads, and the fact we have a new kitchen and oven after years of whining about getting a new one to the powers that be. I've been sitting here all morning trying to keep these things in mind. And that a year ago my first vampire book was about to come out and now the second one. Why is it I've lost touch with how desperately I've always wanted that?

You have a great Thanksgiving--mother-in-law and all!

Jorelle said...

I'm thankful for life. The ups and downs, bumps and frolics! I love my family and friends as well as my faith. I'm thankful for a very not perfect, unpredictable life!

erica and christy said...

That was a very nice list of things to be thanksful for! I'm thankful that even when things go south for us, we're still doing okay. And that I buy lots of pop-tarts just in case we ever run out of milk. ;)

Maeve Frazier said...

I'm thankful for my husband, children and grandchild. I'm thankful for my life, as busy, crazy and hectic as it is. It's mine and I love it!

Written Words said...

Great post, Rachel. It's truly a sign of someone with a solid grip on reality and self-confidence that can look at the problems, and see them in the perspective of all the things that you have.

I am thankful for the family around me and every time I hear something positive. Sure, things aren't perfect, least of all me, and I am probably the author of most of my own troubles, but on the other hand, my life is much better than so many others'.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful I have my own trials and not someone else's. :)
Plus I am thankful families are forever even though some are in Maine.