Thursday, August 4, 2011

Summer Writing Contest


First and foremost I want to thank Lauren Ruth from the BookEnds agency for judging this contest. To get to know her better, read my interview with her here.


I am uber excited for the chance to offer another writing contest for all my totally bodacious followers.

The rules are as follows:

·    Make sure your genre fits within Lauren’s interests: literary fiction, mystery romance, science fiction/fantasy, women's fiction, chick lit, historical fiction, steampunk, and young adult. In nonfiction, she's looking for memoir, parenting, family and relationships, food and lifestyle, business, popular science, popular culture, popular psychology.

·    Email your entries to authorrachel@gmail.com sometime time between now and August 11th. If you notice an error with your submission or don't see it posted within 48 hours, email me.

·    Include your first name, title (in all caps), and genre, followed by your polished first 500 words. Do not stop in the middle of a sentence.

·    Follow this blog.

·    Spread the word via your own blog, twitter, or FaceBook.

·    Politely critique two other entries. They will be listed on the right side of my blog under the Blog Archive. This will give everyone a chance to receive feedback to make their work stronger.

When the clock tolls midnight on August 11th, the contest will end. The entries will then be placed into the magic sorting hat which will randomly select 25. From these Lauren will choose a winner. 

The winner will receive a partial MS (first three chapters or 50 pages) review. Second place winner will receive a book of their choice off Amazon. And the rest of you will be my best friends for life. See? No one’s a looser. J

(Fine print at the bottom: There's no guarantee of an offer-of-representation. I love Lindt chocolate balls. And Cheetos – the hard kind, not the puffs.)

31 comments:

Michael A Tate said...

If we submitted to one of your previous contests...can we re-submit?

*batts eyes

Pk Hrezo said...

Awesome! Emailing and tweeting it now ...

Rachel McClellan said...

Freak yes, Michael! I'd love to read yours again.

erica and christy said...

Thanks! Tweeted and sent in my entry! Christy

Jenny said...

Thanks for the opportunity!

Janet Johnson said...

Very awesome of you! I found you at Shelley Watters blog. :)

And just to check . . . in your list, you don't mention MG, though I saw a recent interview with Lauren that does list it. Is it okay to submit pages from an MG book?

Rachel said...

Janet - I'll find out for you. :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks for the opportunity Rachel. It's nice to meet you.

Will tweet now. I'll sent my entry tomorrow after on last polishing....

Rachel said...

Janet, Lauren said she would by happy to look at MG.

Can't wait to read everyone's entries!

Janet Johnson said...

Awesome, Rachel! Thanks for asking. :) Sending entry soon.

Sharon Bayliss said...

What a beautiful blog, and a great contest!! I awarded you an award here - http://sharonbayliss.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-in-need-is-liebster-indeed.html

Mysti said...

Yay! I submitted and what a great contest! I'll shout out about it :)

tfwalsh said...

Great contest... will tweet about it now.

Michelle Fayard said...

Thank you very much for this opportunity, Lauren and Rachel.

Rachel, I've tweeted the contest, will be talking it up on my blog on Monday and will be e-mailing the information to you later tonight.

Wishing you a great day!

Laura C. said...

Thanks for this great opportunity! I've sent the email, I'm following, and I'll mention it in my blog on Wednesday.

Kate Larkindale said...

Sending it now...

And I'll tweet about the contest too!

Thanks for such a great contest.

Lissa said...

Just sent an email.
This is a really great contest. Thank you for hosting.

Joshua said...

Now to jump out of my comfort zone and perhaps submit...

Alison Miller said...

Thanks for the opportunity! Tweeting now!

Ru said...

I sent one in yesterday, I hope it came in ok!

Joan Strading said...

Tweeted a link to the contest (@justJoanS)

Lois Lane said...

I'm your newest follower, I FBed about the contest (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1179696224) and I emailed my entry. Now, I'm off to give critique.

Thanks for hosting the contest.

Best,
Lois

Ru said...

PS - I blogged about the contest!

http://andthenshewaslikeblahblahblah.blogspot.com/2011/08/650-posts-batman.html

Robin Weeks said...

Oops! Totally forgot about this! I'll email you tonight!

Robin Weeks said...

See, the whole reason I commented was so I'd get an email to remind me. Then I forgot to sign in first, so I could check the box. So sorry for this extra now-the-box-is-checked comment.

(Blogger has an option to let users subscribe to comments without commenting. Just sayin.) :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

Awesome contest - I tweeted! http://twitter.com/#!/NicoleZoltack/status/101503110219956225

Luisa Perkins said...

Very fun--thanks! I tweeted, facebooked, and critiqued. And I am now a follower. Glad to have found you!

Dawn Brazil said...

I wasn't sure if I needed to comment. So, I'm doing it now. I also tweeted and liked on facebook. Thanks for offering this. There's some pretty awesome stories here.

Valentina Hepburn said...

Thanks for contest. I'm tweeting. Can't wait!
Love Valentina

Sara Harricharan said...

Just entered! Shared it on FB and twittered. ^_^

Anonymous said...

This is good site to spent time on. allergy Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol