Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Did my kid just say that???

Kids have such an imagination. I've learned to look at things differently based on what my children have said, and it's sparked all sorts of new writing ideas. For example, my five-year-old daughter asked me this morning, "Where does the tooth fairy live?" I said the first thing that came to my mind, "Canada." But, really, where does he live?

Other great things said:

When my daughter was four, she said the meal prayer and blessed that her mommy would stop saying the A-word, B-word, C-word, D-word, E-word, F-word, G-word, and so on. I had no idea I was so foul mouthed!

My two year old son has a recent habit of punching his fist into the air and yelling "Crotches!" (He has a ten-year-old brother.)

When my oldest boy was six, my husband and I took him to Wal-Mart to go grocery shopping. When we were in line at the checkout, there just happened to be a Native American and a cowboy standing in line in front of us. My son asked, very loudly I might add, "Isn't the cowboy worried the Indian will scalp him?"

When my daughter was in the hospital recently, she was given a small stuffed pink elephant. She immediately named it "Horny" and took it everywhere with her. I tried to encourage other names like Pinky, or Tusky, but she insisted upon Horny. When the nurses would ask, "What's your elephant's name?" She'd answer, "It's Horny."

Kids are awesome, and I've learned so much from them. What are some funny things your kids have said?

8 comments:

E.R. King said...

LOL! Every one of those examples made me laugh. So great!

L.J. said...

OMG…this was too funny, and I can so relate! I have a 5yr old non-stop talker. His latest is nuggets. Everything is "awww…nuggets". I can believe I've actually picked that up, but I guess it's better than the alternatives :)

Elliot Grace said...

...that pink elephant of hers needs stored away for when she's an older, wiser, mother herself. For a rainy day when giggles are hard to come by. That's when you pull it out of the closet, turn to her and say, "Remember when..."

Loved it, great post ;)

EL

Alleged Author said...

Oh, me! If I had a child the child would say the same prayer for mommy not to cuss anymore. I do it waaaay too much. :P

Charlee said...

When my daughter was very small she told me she knew the difference between mummies and daddies.

'daddies push and mummies roll'
Then she demonstrated with the arms of her jumper, daddies push them up and mummies roll them.

B.T. Hoskins said...

'Kids say the darndest things' LOL. Recently, my 10 year old daughter told my 6 year old son, "Stop thinking for yourself, you're not old enough yet..."

Rachel said...

Oh, I thought of another one. When I was pregnant with my last child, my then five year old asked, "Mommy, why are you pregnant in your tummy and your bum?"

Remind me, why did I have children?

Jeff King said...

Great examples... I'll have to come back and share.